Monday, November 17, 2008

"Our Story" according to Dave

We first met August 30, 2008. We both lived on the bottom floor at the Glenwood apartments and were in the same ward. I was in the laundry room moving my clothes into the dryer when Megan walked in. She looked amazing and out of my league so i just kept doing my laundry, trying to make sure it wasn't too obvious when I looked at her. I was wearing a soccer jersey from Guatemala, Megan noticed it and asked if I served my mission in Guatemala. (I was surprised that she talked to me) I explained that my family lived there and she told me that her brother was going to Guatemala for his mission. Not much else was said and we didn't even get each others names. So I finished my laundry thinking of this beautiful mystery girl I thought I'd never see again. Then I headed back to my apartment and she went off to a date. The next day after church a couple of my roommates and I decided to go knocking on some doors introducing ourselves (mission skills do come in handy). Of course we went straight to the girl's side of the building and randomly chose a door. Guess who happened to be in that first door that we knocked. Megan! Making some delicious smelling, funky looking banana bread. I finally learned her name and was struck from that moment on. We all talked for about ten minutes and then my roommates and i took off. The following Tuesday was the Ward Opening Social, it was tons of fun but pretty crowded. There was football and volleyball and lots going on. Well, I made sure i followed her around and tried to get on the same teams (I know, I know, how childish). But then she left with some of her friends to go get slurpees. My sister and roommate wanted to leave to go get our swimming suits so we could swim and since Megan was gone I though "sure why not". But then as we were pulling out of the parking lot, she walked past the car and asked where we were going... anyways.... I came up with whatever excuse I could to just stay and skip the swimming. It worked. We ended up staying and playing games in a small group and had tons of fun, after that we went to Tina's hot tub and hung out that night. Since that night we have hung out pretty much every night since. The first few weeks we would stay up playing cards till early morning. After some time and with my roommates telling me many times how obvious it was that she liked me I built up the courage to hold her hand. Yay! We kept spending everyday together hanging out with our roommates but before too long it ended up being just the two of us. We have lots of great times; beating her at cards, watching her volleyball skills, and watching movies. From day one things were different with Megan, I love playing guitar but hate singing in front of people. One of the first times we hung out i explained how i felt about playing and singing at the same time and then next thing I know playing the guitar and singing away. I guess that's probably when I really realized she liked me because she still wanted to be around me even after I sang. My family still hasn't met Megan but everyone i introduce her to loves her. Once she is out of earshot the comments start coming, "ooh, I like her!"..."she is so pretty!"...."she is so nice"... "don't mess this up, you'll regret it!".... Tell me something I don't know! Megan is amazing, throughout our experience dating she has been so much fun and kind to me. I still have a hard time getting over the fact that I got someone as pretty as her to date me. It got to the point that all I wanted to do was be with her. Last thing I thought of before going to to bed was Megan, first thing i thought of when I woke up was Megan. Every minute that we were both at home we spent together (and still do). I fell in love with who she is, the kind of person she is, and knew I wanted to be with her for forever... but not much time had passed since we started dating. If you know anything about my parents dating life you'll know that dating time doesn't seem to be an issue in this chain of the Robertson family. On October 28th I called Todd Winn (Megan's dad) to ask him for permission to marry Megan... he was out jogging with Lauren his other daughter! He asked if he could call me back in ten minutes... that was the most nerve wrecking ten minutes of my life! Well, ten minutes of pacing and deep thought finally passed and he called me back. We had a great talk and... yay.... I got his blessing. So now I had to ask her.... I don't know if anyone knows what Geo-caching is but basically its where someone hides a box somewhere and then goes online and enters the coordinates of the box, giving others something to go find. Its pretty much a little treasure hunt. There are miscellaneous items in the boxes and when you find one you're supposed to take something out and then put something else in. I hadn't bought a ring yet but had a diamond ring that I got in Botswana and had my roommate go hide it in one of the Geo-caching boxes by the Provo river. Sometimes they can be hard to find but i knew exactly where this one was so no worries there. Well, Megan took forever getting home from a school field trip and it started to get dark, I thought "great, its going to be too dark by the time she gets here to go looking" I thought my plans were ruined. She will tell you otherwise but I only called her once, to see where she was so I could decide whether or not to go through with it that night. Luckily she got home in time and we were able to have a little bit of light. Off we went in search of treasure that she didn't know would be there. After visiting a decoy cache we headed to the "chosen" one. I suggested the area for her to look(near where the ring was) but no, she wanted to look with me where I was looking. So I acted like I was looking around for the box (i could have won an Oscar with my fake search that night), and finally made my way nearer to the tree the box was hidden. Megan eventually "found" the box and handed it to me. I got down on a knee and opened the box and started pulling the things out of the box... a superman toy....dental floss..... a coin..... a spoon.... a ring box! When i pulled out the ring box I looked up at Megan and started pouring out my heart and soul only to be interrupted abruptly by Megan exclaiming, "Dave, are you serious?"..... "yes".... my speech continued.... then again and louder this time, "Dave, are you serious!?!" By this time i was getting nervous. I was surprised at how calm I originally was but her questioning quickly brought on a fear that I did not want at that time. I was also scared I would never get through my little impromptu speech with these interruptions and decided i better cut to the chase. "Megan, will you marry me?"............... "Of course i will!" Things are going great now, we are happily engaged and excited for the wedding which is planned for the 16th of January. I'm so grateful for Megan and who she is. I'm always falling more in love and am surprised every day at how amazing she is. I am happier then ever and still in shock at how lucky I am in getting Megan. I guess "lucky" is an understatement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am the first to comment! That is one of the sweetest stories. Thank you for sharing it! It is just the beginning of the wonderful times to come. I am so happy for you both!


Camping at Strawberry Resevoir

Camping at Strawberry Resevoir