Monday, November 17, 2008

"Our Story" according to Megan

Dave and I met the weekend before school started. It was a Saturday and I was getting ready to go to the football game. I really needed to do laundry but I had just gotten out of the shower and I looked really bad. My hair was wet and I wasn't wearing any makeup but I was having a laundry emergency so I decided I would risk possibly running into potential dates. I remember thinking that there probably wouldn't even be anyone down there and the probability of meeting cute guys was somewhat slim. So I walked down there as fast as I could, absolutely determined not to talk or even make eye contact with anyone and, of course, there was Dave. He was putting laundry in the dryer and all I could see was Guatemala on the back of his shirt. My little brother, Jack, had just been called to serve a mission in Guatemala and my mom was really apprehensive about it. I figured that he had probably served a mission there and would have nice things to say about it. I couldn't miss an opportunity to investigate for my nervous mother so I broke my vow of silence to ask him. Besides, I thought, this guy probably isn't even in my ward and I'll most likely never see him again. When Dave turned around I was stunned by his good looks and he had the most perfect smile I had ever seen. I don't even remember what he told me about Guatemala.

The next day was fast Sunday and I went to my new ward. Our ward had a break the fast meal after church. I went with my roommates and we were sitting in the stairwell eating spaghetti off of our laps when Dave and his roommates walked in. Unfortunately, he didn't see me and I tried but never worked up the nerve to talk to him.

Later that night, my roommates and I were hanging around the apartment making banana bread and we heard a knock on the door. It was Dave and his roommates who wanted to meet some people and just happened to knock on our door which wasn't even the first one in the hall. I was so excited that he was in my ward and finally actually knew my name and that I was wearing makeup this time. :) Tuesday was the ward opening social and I almost didn't get to go. Luckily one of my coworkers covered my shift and I was able to get off work a little early. We started playing volleyball and Dave and I ended up on the same team which made me happy. I'm possibly the worst volleyball player ever but Dave appreciated my "raise the roof" move. My roommate and I took a break and left for a while to get Slurpees and on the way back noticed Dave driving away. Somehow we stopped him from leaving to get his swimsuit. We stayed and played games outside and then went back to his sister's apartment to swim in the hot tub. Later we decided to go back to my apartment to play cards and order pizza. Even though I beat Dave by a lot in every card game we played, he was a good sport. ;) The hours flew by and soon it was 4 am so we reluctantly called it a night.

The next day at work, I was just getting ready to leave when I got a text from Dave and I couldn't help but smile. After texting back and forth several times, I came up with the excuse that my internet wasn't working (which was true) and I couldn't do any homework with out it (which was somewhat true) so Dave invited me over. Of course we didn't do any homework. We watched The Office and talked and Dave played guitar and sang for me. I was amazed. He was smart, funny, nice, sweet, amazingly attractive, and could play the guitar. And I had really only known him for twenty four hours. I thought he was too good to be true.

But lucky for me, he wasn't. And lucky for me, he thought I was okay too. After the night of the ward social, Dave and I never went a day without seeing each other. I thought about him all the time. I hated saying goodnight and waited with eager anticipation to see him again. I loved every time we were together and I fell in love with him quickly. Soon Dave became the person I wanted to tell everything to. He became my best friend and just being in the same room with him made my day instantly better. I knew I wanted to be with him forever.

One Wednesday afternoon, I had to go on a field trip with my geography class to a copper mine. I was telling my mom about it that morning and she was asking about my plans for later that night. I told her that Dave had mentioned going geocaching but I thought it would be too dark to go by the time I got back. "No!" she said, rather quickly, "It will be fun in the dark. It will be like a treasure hunt. Take a flashlight." I didn't even think anything of how insistent she was that I go. The field trip took a lot longer than I expected and on the way back, Dave started texting me. Before I could respond, he texted again and before I could respond to that, he called me wondering where I was and when I would get back. Still, I didn't expect anything. I just thought he was really excited to go geocaching. He called again when I got back to the school and met me in the parking lot when I got back to our apartment. So we hurried to start geocaching and started looking in a spot next to the Provo River. It was a really pretty trail that was kind of set back from every thing else. Dave pointed out where he thought the box would be but I was pretty sure it was in a different location. I searched for a long time before finally deciding to listen to Dave and I finally found it. I was pretty impressed with myself. Little did I know that he had hidden in there an hour earlier. We opened the box and Dave started pulling things out. I was reading a note that we found in the box when he found a ring box. I looked down to find him on one knee telling me how much he loved me. At first, I thought he had just happened to find a ring box in there and thought it would be funny to pretend so I asked if he was serious. Finally, I realized he was being serious and I immediately got butterflies in my stomach. This took me completely by surprise. It was hard to believe that it was happening but I couldn't have been happier. Everything just felt right.

I am so excited to be getting married to Dave. I feel like I've known him forever and I absolutely love the person he is and the way he makes me feel. I can't believe that this is just Chapter One of Our Story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you enough how happy I am for you and how much you deserve this happiness? I am so excited for you and Dave! Congratulations my shinin' pride!

BClarke said...

Can I be happy for you?

Heidi said...

LOVE YOUR COOL BLOGSPOT! Will you be as famous as NieNie? I am so excited for you both! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

The Hills said...

I am so excited for you! You sound so happy and Dave seems like a great guy.

-Amanda Hill

Julie said...

congrats!!!

Dave and Megan said...

Come on everyone, we all know my version is the most correct! ;)
-Dave


Camping at Strawberry Resevoir

Camping at Strawberry Resevoir